Domestic Partnerships in Oakland

Please note: The City of Oakland is only accepting Domestic Partnership Registrations by mail. The City of Oakland defines domestic partnership as a voluntary relationship between two cohabiting people, regardless of gender. Domestic Partnerships are available for residents of Oakland or employees of the City of Oakland.

Domestic Partnership Registration Application
Ending a Domestic Partnership

Please note: The City of Oakland is only accepting Domestic Partnership Registrations by mail, while under the Alameda County Shelter in Place guidelines.

Registering a Domestic Partner

Have your application notarized and mail to:

Domestic Partnership Registration
Office of the City Clerk
1 Frank Ogawa Plaza, 2nd Floor
Oakland, CA 94612

Legal Rights in Oakland

Registering your domestic partnership:

  • May be beneficial if you work for a company that extends health or other benefits to domestic partners.
  • May allow you to be recognized as your partner's family member.
  • May allow you to visit your partner in the hospital or in jail, under current state law.

Registering a domestic partnership does not:

  • Automatically create any new or different legal rights or responsibilities.
  • Automatically entitle you to make health care decisions, funeral arrangements, or to make any claim on the estate of your partner.

Legal Rights in California

The State establishes certain rights for domestic partners that are not granted by the City of Oakland. Learn more from the State of California Domestic Partner Registry or call (916) 659-3984.

Eligibility - you and your partner must:

  • Be at least 18 years old and currently unmarried to anyone.
  • Be unrelated by either blood or marriage.
  • Have resided together for at least six months prior to filing an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership.
  • Reside together in Oakland, sharing the common necessities of life (including food, shelter, and medical expenses) or one partner must be employed by the City of Oakland.
  • Each partner must present a valid picture ID as well as documentation with the same address, such as a bank statement or bill (at least one partner must provide a MAJOR utility bill, i.e. PG&E, EBMUD, etc.).
  • Be mentally competent to consent to the contract.
  • Agree to file a Notice of Ending a Domestic Partnership if you end your relationship and live separately for more than 90 days.

Ending a Domestic Partnership

Partners can request to end a domestic partnership either in person or by mail. Instructions on ending a domestic partnership are available on the Ending a Domestic Partnership form. If submitting your request to end a domestic partnership by mail, please include a copy of your driver's license or state issued ID and a check or money order with your form.